Garam Masala Pumpkin Soup Recipe Revealed
Updated: Jan 8
Autumn is here! You're probably noticing the evenings getting cooler, the leaves starting to change, and loads of pumpkin displays popping up at your local supermarket.
With the change of season and temperature, what an easy recipe to warm up and invigorate your taste buds to many healing properties linked to Indian spices, cooking, and local ingredients.
Believe it or not, pumpkin or Kaddu as its know in parts of India is the national vegetable of the nation of 1.3 billion people.
There are a variety of different types of Pumpkins grown across India, and have also been a longtime favorite ingredient of chef & restaurateurs Raj & Bina Sharma of Bombay Mahal in Brunswick, Maine.
The couple moved to the coastal state of Maine from Germany & the United Kingdom 30 years ago & share their family recipe for a hearty garam masala pumpkin soup.
Ingredients: (Serves 1)
· 1 small Pumpkin
· 1 teaspoon of ginger
· 1 teaspoon of garlic
· ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
· ½ teaspoon of fennel seeds
· 1 teaspoon of garam masala
· 1 teaspoon of cumin seed powder
· 1 teaspoon of freshly chopped cilantro
· 1 teaspoon off lime juice
· ½ teaspoon of salt for taste
· ½ teaspoon of turmeric
· 2 teaspoons of chopped onion
· 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
· 1 cup of water
· 1 teaspoon of heavy cream
1) Peel & chop your pumpkin into cubed size pieces
2) Boil your chopped pumpkin in a medium sized pan until they soften & allow to cool
3) Throw some oil in a saucepan and over medium heat and sauté your cumin seeds & fennel seeds until golden brown.
4) Add in your ginger, garlic, and onions for another 2-3 minutes of sautéing. Once golden brown add in your turmeric, salt, cumin powder & sir for another minute while adding in one cup of room temperature water.
5) Once your pumpkin & spices have cooled, throw everything into a food processor/blender for 1 minute until the mixture comes to a silky smooth consistency .
5) Pour out your mixture into the same saucepans over medium heat for two minutes while sitting in heavy cream, lime juice, cilantro, & additional water need be.
6) Garnish with garam masala, cilantro, and a piece of your favorite Indian flatbread such as naan.